The Love of Networking

I love networking. I love talking with colleagues and sharing information that benefits the entire profession. I love offering my expertise whenever I get a chance. I love being a potential solution to my colleagues' problems. That is why I love networking. It gives me an opportunity to be useful to my colleagues and to the profession as a whole.

Today, I had an excellent networking experience. I interviewed for a part-time librarian position at a local college. The interview/ conversation was fantastic. I learned much from a more experienced colleague, and I was able to articulate what exactly I could contribute to the specific library and to the profession as a whole. I hope to become a very useful part of this person's network.

My main goal in networking is to become a "name brand," the person colleagues remember when they need solutions. Career advancement is just a small part of it. My library career will most likely advance as I help my colleagues solve their problems. It's like the old saying: "Love what you do and the money will follow". I love being a solution to problems. Building a career and earning a professional salary will follow that love.

WAY OFF TOPIC
The Supreme Court of the United States (SCOTUS) just effectively ended the Defense of Marriage Act and Prop 8 in California. Both laws discriminated against gay marriage. A very staunch liberal, I am happy to see what is most likely the beginning of marriage civil rights for all consenting adults, regardless of the sexual orientation.

Comments

Popular Posts