Celebrating a Third Work Anniversary

Third anniversary image
Happy Work Anniversary!
February is African American Celebration month, and it also happens to be my 3rd anniversary working as a lecturer at Oakland University Libraries.  It has been an honor to serve the information needs of a highly diverse population of students, staff, and faculty. Every moment has challenged me to be the best librarian to I can be.

I am proud to work with colleagues who appreciate the diverse ideas and techniques I bring to the OU Libraries table.  Recently, I helped curate a virtual exhibition on this history of diversity at Oakland University. I also helped pick items for the African American Celebration month display in our lobby. My working-class African American background has allowed me to create authentic, exciting moments in the classroom.  For the most part, students and their instructors seem to enjoy my one-shot instruction sessions.  There is superficial diversity, and then there is the deep, structural diversity that I have experienced at Oakland University.

Currently, I am working on several digital learning objects, including a module in Moodle, the University's learning management system.  In the next several months, I will research and draft at least one article for a peer-reviewed library journal.
Picture of an African american woman with books
I start a doctoral program in Reading Education this fall. I have been in contact with a potential adviser, whose research interests meshes very well with mine.  Even before the start of the semester, this professor has given me very excellent advise. I see a very productive collaboration with this person. How productive, you may ask?  I think I can complete the program in four years or less, in large part by collaborating with this professor.

Last, but by no means the least, I curated a Pinterest page for the Black Caucus of the American Library Association. The page features images connected to the fatal shooting of African American teenager Michael Brown in Ferguson, Missouri.  I hope to collaborate with BCALA on other projects.

Images

Happy 3rd Anniversary
 http://tlburriss.com/2012/03/11/happy-3rd-anniversary/

Literacy is Empowerment
http://education.ufl.edu/reading-education/online-masters-reading-language-and-literacy/



Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts